Detail of Troup Ward
Troup Ward was laid out in 1851, as part of the sixth expansion of the
city. To fit in the area allocated for it in the City Common (and even
incorporating a thin sliver of former Garden Lots along its eastern
edge), the width of the ward was reduced, resulting in a narrow Oglethorpe
plan formula, complete with a central square, trust lots and tything
Troup Ward and Square are named after George Michael
Troup (1780-1856), Governor of Georgia in 1823-1827.