Detail of Franklin Ward
Franklin Ward was laid out in 1791 as part of the first expansion of
the city of Savannah. To fit in the area allocated for it in the West
Common, the width of the ward was reduced, resulting in a narrow Oglethorpe
plan formula, complete with a central square, trust lots and tything
Franklin Ward and Square honor Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790), American
statesman, philosopher, and agent for the Colony of Georgia (1768-1775).
In the 19th century the square was also called Water Tank Square, after
the old city water tank that occupied it.